Sunday, July 26, 2009

What a beautiful night...

I love Night Trikking. I was out for an hour and a half this morning, but by 12:30 pm it was getting hot outside. I went out again from 10 to 11 pm this evening and it was absolutely beautiful. It was much cooler and I could stargaze if I wanted to. There were a few white clouds passing overhead which were very pretty to look at in the moonlight. As usual, there were very few moving cars to think about and the couple I did share the road with had their headlights on so were very easy to spot and accomodate for long before they were anywhere near me.

Trikking with the air wheels on the rear is quite different than the poly wheels. With the polys, I always could hear a swoosh swoosh and rattle rattle as I went down the street. With the air wheels on, it is so quiet. It's like having a stealth Trikke. The air wheels of course go right over the surface imperfections like rocks and sticks and cracks that caused the poly wheels trouble. That is very nice. I can also get more momentum going so that I can go uphill easier. I think that I was just being cheap by running the poly wheels down to the nub. In retrospect, I think the front wheel should be replaced as soon as there is cord showing and the poly wheels should be replaced when they are about half worn (you could rotate them to get a little extra usage). Of course you might do what Pete did and just replace the poly wheels when you realize that the terrain you are rolling over is too rough to not have the air wheels. One thing about riding on the road in Trikke Heaven, it is pretty flat and has few significant imperfections in it's surface. Now the new path in the park (which will probably be finished this week) is smooth and wide and much nicer to ride on so I ride less on the road (except for Night Trikking because of the street lights on the road).

No comments:

Post a Comment