Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I see cord under the rubber...

This is not a good sign. I hope the tire gets here today. As for now, I am going to watch the tire very closely and change the way I am Trikking. I'm going to take it easier and not go for speed. I don't want to wear through and nick the tube. Then I have to replace the tube too, or at least fix it. When I went out today, I worked a lot of slower, wider moves (one of the joys of living in Trikke Heaven). I also didn't work the front wheel nearly as much as I did the rear wheels. By focusing on the action of my legs and shifting my center of gravity more to the rear, I take stress off the front wheel and get a good leg workout in the process. Caution, when you shift your weight more to the rear, don't let the front wheel leave the ground. That destabilizes your weight and can cause you to begin to fall backwards. That's one of the first things I noticed when I started Trikking.

In working your legs, you should be aware of your weight distribution when you let your weight sink into your foot, through the platforms under your feet and on to the wheels. As you apply force to the front part of your foot, you can feel it in your thighs. As your weight sinks into the heel, you can feel it more in your calf muscles. Also, when I let the weight sink into my heels I can feel the effects in my abs too, specifically the ab muscles on the sides ( the internal obliques and the TVA or transverse abdominis). It's the flow back and forth that helps you roll down the road and get a great leg and ab workout to boot. Again, the rhythm and balance come into play.

No comments:

Post a Comment